Title: Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic
Series: Dowser Series, Book #1
Author: Meghan Ciana Doidge
Genre: Paranormal & urban adventure?
“If you’d asked me a week ago, I would have told you that the best cupcakes were dark chocolate with chocolate cream cheese icing, that dancing in a crowd of magic wielders — the Adept — was better than sex, and that my life was peaceful and uneventful. Just the way I liked it. That’s what twenty-three years in the magical backwater of Vancouver will get you — a completely skewed sense of reality. Because when the dead werewolves started showing up, it all unraveled … except for the cupcake part. That’s a universal truth. ”
So Jade is a normal girl in a family of witches. She can’t really do any magic herself, but she can make cupcakes, so she has that going for her. Out of nowhere, she’s the suspect of a murder, and suddenly werewolves and vampires are hanging around, and it turns out that she may not be as normal as she thought.
- It may have just been because I wasn’t really trying to figure things out, but I didn’t see any of the twists coming.
- I liked the characters. I hated Jade’s name, but I’ve just always hated the name Jade for no reason.
- I liked how the magic was set up, and how Jade was rightly afraid of the scary things.
- I can’t think of anything bad about it. I read it pretty quickly, so I guess I would’ve enjoyed it if it was longer, if we’d have seen a little bit more, but I suppose that’s what the sequels are for.
- Jade seemed a tad Mary Sue-ish. All the guys want her, she has blonde hair, tan skin (without ever being in the sun), and indigo eyes. However, I still enjoyed the story, she certainly didn’t fall flat or read like Bella Swan.
Would I recommend it?:
Yes! It’s a great read, lots of fun. There wasn’t any sex or romance, and I think that really helped the story stay on track. As long as you can abide by the name Jade, I say give it a go. The first ebook is free on Amazon, not sure if that’s permanent or not, but for now it is.