It’s free until Sunday, so get it quick! If any of you would like to reblog this or help spread the word to help me out, I would be very grateful.
Title: Cupcakes, Trinkets, and Other Deadly Magic
Series: Dowser Series, Book #1
Author: Meghan Ciana Doidge
Genre: Paranormal & urban adventure?
“If you’d asked me a week ago, I would have told you that the best cupcakes were dark chocolate with chocolate cream cheese icing, that dancing in a crowd of magic wielders — the Adept — was better than sex, and that my life was peaceful and uneventful. Just the way I liked it. That’s what twenty-three years in the magical backwater of Vancouver will get you — a completely skewed sense of reality. Because when the dead werewolves started showing up, it all unraveled … except for the cupcake part. That’s a universal truth. ”
So Jade is a normal girl in a family of witches. She can’t really do any magic herself, but she can make cupcakes, so she has that going for her. Out of nowhere, she’s the suspect of a murder, and suddenly werewolves and vampires are hanging around, and it turns out that she may not be as normal as she thought.
- It may have just been because I wasn’t really trying to figure things out, but I didn’t see any of the twists coming.
- I liked the characters. I hated Jade’s name, but I’ve just always hated the name Jade for no reason.
- I liked how the magic was set up, and how Jade was rightly afraid of the scary things.
- I can’t think of anything bad about it. I read it pretty quickly, so I guess I would’ve enjoyed it if it was longer, if we’d have seen a little bit more, but I suppose that’s what the sequels are for.
- Jade seemed a tad Mary Sue-ish. All the guys want her, she has blonde hair, tan skin (without ever being in the sun), and indigo eyes. However, I still enjoyed the story, she certainly didn’t fall flat or read like Bella Swan.
Would I recommend it?:
Yes! It’s a great read, lots of fun. There wasn’t any sex or romance, and I think that really helped the story stay on track. As long as you can abide by the name Jade, I say give it a go. The first ebook is free on Amazon, not sure if that’s permanent or not, but for now it is.
As it turns out, Amazon is full of shit when it says “Processing will take 3-5 business days”, so Kiss of the Fey is out a day early. What I will take away from this is that I shouldn’t set hard release dates, because Amazon doesn’t know what it’s doing. I published the Kindle version AFTER the paperback version (like actually clicked the button) but it says that it was published yesterday, even though it was after midnight when I hit submit, but the paperback version says it was published today.
I’m also looking for people to review my book, both on Amazon/Goodreads and on their blogs! If you’re interested in getting a free PDF copy, fill out your information here and I’ll get that emailed to you.
So that’s that. I hope everyone will enjoy my book! I’ve worked really hard on it. I shall now celebrate being published by climbing a mountain. (Seriously. I’ll post pictures, assuming it doesn’t rain on us.)