Okay, so mostly I’ve been making tacos and taking full advantage of my boyfriend’s Netflix account, but I have been writing, which means regular blogging won’t be far away!
I’m still just barely getting back to blogging at the moment, but hopefully I’ll have some posts coming up as I become better at time management.
To prove I’ve been writing, here is an excerpt from my current work in progress, Let Down Your Hair. This is just a random bit from the middle of the book (currently stands at 43,000 words, so the first draft is about a third done). Feel free to critique as this is only a first draft… Hopefully it won’t take too long to get it to the second.
I just finished editing chapter eight in Kiss of The Fey. That leaves seven chapters and the epilogue to go, then reading through the whole thing once more and trying to get a few people (besides my mom…) to read it. It’s a pain to edit it, mostly because I wrote out all the edits so it’s bothersome to edit the actual computer document.
To give you an idea of the number of changes that goes into the making of a novel (and I consider these changes to be quite minor) here is a list:
- I actually gave some lines to Johara’s half-sister. And completely changed the opening scene to make that happening, changing a bunch of info-dumping while Johara was trying to sleep into a ballroom scene.
- I cut lots of scenes with three characters. I changed their motivations and two are killed much earlier than originally.
- I completely cut out a subplot. In the beginning, Johara was stabbed by an enchanted dagger that put her into an enchanted sleep, which is how Xenos met her. The original plot will be explained down below. *
- I’ve decided that my characters need last names. Sigh. I was going to just make it “Johara of Blairford” or “Xenos of Malum” but then Johara’s maid could say she was Lorn of Malum and there would be nothing marking her apart from Xenos. I fought with this early on in writing and decided that I didn’t want to bother. However, I’ve changed my mind and now must go back and give everyone names. Bleh.
- I needed to change how my characters felt towards each other. Johara and Xenos became friends too quickly. Xenos is known far and wide as Xenos the Horrid, so it made no sense that she was okay with him right away.
- I gave Johara more personality. I hope.
- Xenos is less dramatic. He acted like a teenager sometimes, and he’s like 30. So.
- Orion is less like fanfic Dumbledore.
- I completely changed the dramatic climax scene and replaced it with a subplot’s scene due to the deletion of the major subplot discussed below.
- Obviously I fixed all weird typos, awkward phrasings, and things like that. Stuff that I typed up in a rush and said “WTF” when I looked back at it.
- I still need to fix some scenes once I’m all done to add more thoughts of home and stuff like that. Little things here and there.
Again, all these things are pretty minor. I’m only completely rewriting a few scenes. Granted, this novel started off as a G-rated novella, so I guess that counts as an edit.
*Okay, this is the most unnecessarily complicated subplot I’ve ever thought of. Johara needed someone to stab her. I decided that it would be some thugs hired by the King of Yacia. The King of Yacia stabbed a ransom note to the girl in the hope of getting enough gold to buy an army. However, the ransom note soaked through with blood and was never read. Once that failed, he sent his thugs to Malum after Johara married Xenos to steal a lock of Johara’s hair to make a love potion. The King of Yacia gave the love potion to Prince Kain of Yacia so that he would fall in love with Johara and try to go carry her off and be killed by Xenos. See, because the King of Yacia had a magic bracelet that switched his mind with the body of his brother. He truly the brother of the king, and he’d been locked up for killing the Queen of Yacia. He’d had comfy enough quarters to get thugs to put the bracelet on his brother to make him king, and threw his brother (in his body) into the dungeons. But the bracelet wasn’t infinite, and it would switch them back soon, so he hoped to get Kain killed (since he wouldn’t be able to buy an army to defeat his brother) so that he would be his brother’s heir so that he could just kill him and grab the throne.
Did you follow that? No? Yeah, my mom didn’t get it either. I decided to make it WAY simpler than that. At the first mention of this plot I wrote “CONVOLUTED AS FUCK” during editing and knew I had to change it.
Has anyone else made big changes while editing? (And honestly, I don’t think these changes are that big.) Feel free to share in a comment or blog about your own experience with editing and share the link!